Sunday, November 9, 2008

Solo Travel

Fact: I did not use the duct tape during my travels to California and back. However, it would have been quite the visual display had I decided to use it on the massive crack that emerged on my windshield (that I still have not fixed) somewhere between Oklahoma and Arizona. While I am glad I did not pursue such a ridiculous remedy, I am thoroughly enjoying the laughter that is a result of the consideration.

Duct tape aside, I can confidently say, this trip was held together by other people…complete strangers. When I suited up the Honda two Thursday night’s ago to head out towards the land of tolls (Oklahoma)--not to be confused with trolls…although, I wouldn’t put it past the state to charge for meeting one at an advertised “Free Restroom”—I could have never predicted the remaining ten days of travel, regardless of “plans.” That first evening, as I pulled onto a street heading towards a woman on her cell phone waving her hands frantically to assist me with direction, I knew I was in for a good time.

Each night that I couch surfed—once in Oklahoma City, twice in Flagstaff, and once in Alamogordo—I was greeted with unique individuals with interesting life stories. The generosity displayed through food, drink, conversation and entertainment…not to mention a place to sleep and shower…was overwhelming and beautiful. Contrary to popular belief, one based primarily on fear, strangers can be kind and trustworthy. Granted, there are some legitimate fears associated with such an idea, but that brings us to individual responsibility and common sense. I did not put myself, I had hoped, in living situations that would require me to use my knife (yikes), the random screw driver in my car (that really wouldn’t have been useful unless I was in my car), or my magical roll of duct tape.

The only time I felt slightly nervous during this adventure was the drive from Flagstaff, Arizona to Alamogordo, New Mexico. While I did have some concerns about the bears in Yosemite slashing me or my vehicle to gourmet pieces, as well as the health of my knee on the downward slopes of the hikes I wanted to pursue, nothing compared to the isolating feeling of this commute. The uninhabited space engulfed my singing-Civic-driving self for hours without cell phone service or, for the most part, another vehicle. The towns I passed through were, indeed, ghost towns. The one gas station I stopped at, in Arizona, gave me a free Snickers bar just for visiting. That can’t be a good sign.

While I cannot minimize the moments of this trip, spent alone or in company, that moved my spirit and penetrated my soul…all occurring in the National Parks, of course…I cannot say enough about the power of solo travel. It, in my opinion, opens the door of opportunity. To approach and be approached is much easier for the self and others, and the time alone allows you to truly engage in your surroundings; a humble awareness of sorts. Surprises are inevitable.

In short, this trip was incredible. But, it was made even more so by all of the people in my life who weren’t able to physically accompany me. Knowing I had people who were following me on Twitter, who include me in their lives as a friend or loved one, who care about my journeys and expressions…made the experience better. It really wouldn’t be the same without people to share it with…before, during and after. Here’s to friends and family…who, at one time, were complete strangers.

No comments: