Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Real World's Real Duty

Climbing up the stairs of the arena, I made a quick scan for an aisle seat. As I settled into the environment, my eyes darted abruptly from those around me chatting excitedly, to the JumboTron magnifying the ceremonial-setup below. So perfectly were the maroon chairs aligned and the podium centered. Just as my admiration for the display peaked, the orchestra cued the crowd to stand.

Side by side they marched. And although the sounds of their soles hitting the floor could not be heard over the murmurs of friends and family or the song of the instruments, the prideful rhythm of the marching graduates penetrated the noisy crowd with an energy that truly stirred emotions. The energy was a magnificent reminder of the incredible achievements accomplished during the course of a college career; but not so much the academic learning as the human gestures and interactions along the way.

After they called her name, I dismissed myself from my seat. And, within just a few steps outside of the engagement within the circular barrier of commencement, the inspiration disappeared. Casual discussion was being had, laughter was echoed throughout the empty arena refreshment stands, and parents were reluctantly entertaining unruly children darting in and out of the entryway doors. As I joined those in routine movement, making my way back to paid productivity, my mind tried desperately to hold on to the empowerment.

Instead, however, it filled with amusement. Amusement for the happiness experienced by those earning degrees and the hopefulness that accompanies the joy. As I was walking, I could not help but think of their tomorrows and the unexpected disappointments in those future journeys. While I am not sure if this was a result of my own experiences post-graduation, discussions I have had with others, or the truth of the infamous real world, the reality of my reaction made me smile. An expression that transported me into the shoes of those graduates and their families, perhaps out of a longing for the innocence of that day and those preceding it, wishing I could encourage them to freeze-frame the moment…or, at the very least, savor the experience.

I could not be more appreciative of the lessons learned during those first few years of “real” employment. For in those moments of struggle, questioning, and disappointment I discovered my true self and her idea of success. A success that looks much different than the one defined prior to degreed status. But there is a certain beauty about that first look at the professional world as a traditional college graduate; a beauty that, if remembered, can positively redefine the means of self-discovery for those just starting their path.

No comments: