Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Cracker Jack

When my co-worker opened a bag of Cracker Jack the other day, I wasn't shy about asking if a toy was included. I was, however, a tad bit hesitant to ask if I could maybe, possibly, become the toy’s new owner. Without reluctance, my co-worker tossed the familiar red and white striped square of surprise in my direction.

Immediately going for the perforated edge, I hastily tore off the tab that was serving as a barrier between me and this free object of interest. Before opening the flimsy, miniature book of wonder, I read the words written on the blue dot next to the legendary Cracker Jack sailor and dog logo that told me to “Guess what’s inside?” Almost certain it would be a hologram, since that was always the “Surprise Inside,” I proceeded with the big reveal.

What is with all these words? A “Guess Who” profile? Is that a paper doll of some sorts? Wait, another perforation? Turns out my Cracker Jack “toy” was a two –sided picture of Benjamin Franklin that, when folded in some sort of origami fashion, went from young to old. No hologram?! In addition, the paper folding project came with two full panels of historic information about the one-hundred-dollar-bill show stopper. Did you know he invented swimfins? Swimfins?!

Although the educator in me was slightly pleased to see such “toys” being included in snack bags, I couldn’t help but be disappointed with my freebie. If my childhood memories serve me well, this wasn’t a normal offering. So, I did what anyone does when they have questions…I went straight to the source of all quasi-reliable sources…Wikipedia. Not only did I learn that Cracker Jack is not Cracker Jacks (all these years of mispronunciation!), but I also learned that this switch from fun-useless-plastic toys to educational-paper-jokes-and-riddles toys was recent.

Turns out this little nothing-of-value surprise taught me quite a bit. Maybe you can get something from nothing. Or maybe nothing is, actually, something?

1 comment:

ljkelly said...

"Holy I like to use a lot of different words to describe something, Batman!"

Ex. "this free object of interest" or "miniature book of wonder"...you must dig back to your creative writing 101 exercises a lot. LOL!

Nice post, can I have some Cracker Jack now?