Friday, September 26, 2008

Stolen Identity

Moving right along in the direction of our destination, we suddenly paused to admire yet another insect. In this case, however, there were many. The wing span was small, but the wings themselves were lovely; a beautiful bright yellow. Such eye-pleasing butterflies, I thought. Wait. Where did they go?!

After several flutters along in multiple directions, these “butterflies” would settle down into a camouflaged state of being; blending ever so cleverly with the natural habitat. Are these grasshoppers? Surely not. I looked at my friend who had suggested this day hike and stated my intentions, “I must know more!” So, I charged at these insects with the movement of my body to encourage movement from their own confusing identity. I can’t say that I actually charged AT the insects, seeing as I was still uncertain as to where they were directly located. But, short spurts of speed towards the supposed locations did, indeed, result in a flurry of sunshine wings. These splashes of color decorating the sky around me would only last momentarily, however, before I was once again searching for their location.

What are these creatures? Can they really be grasshoppers? Perhaps clever butterflies? These moments of curiosity, coupled with entertaining but ineffective investigative measures, produced nothing more than fond memories. But, they did stimulate my imagination. Just as I was convinced that I had discovered a new species of insect, and sorted out possible names, I came to appreciate the lesson behind the experience. Things aren’t always what they seem.

No comments: