Sunday, September 21, 2008

Father Time

What is time? Is it decorative? Is it a tool of organization and coordination? An indicator of celebration and accomplishment? Clearly this is the case for clocks and watches, meetings and work schedules, birthdays, anniversaries, and some sporting events. Not to mention the all-encompassing idea of past, present, and future. But if you eliminate responsibility, obligation and acknowledgement, does time exist?

I stopped wearing a watch years ago. I claimed that IT was responsible for my stress; completely ignoring my part of the equation. I was certain that if I removed this ornate numerical gadget from my wrist, I would stop living my life according to time. No more, “It’s too late. It’s too early. Only five more minutes.” This elimination would allow me to do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted---outside of my societal obligations---without mental complications.

Lately, I have been reminded of this philosophy of mine. A couple weeks ago, my friend gave me a watch of hers she needed to part with. She mentioned my disbelief in time, but noted the beautiful vehicle it was contained in once a battery triggered its existence. I kindly accepted the gift, but am still hesitant to enjoy its purpose. As if needing a reminder as to why I so adamantly refuse to decorate myself in a concept I like to ignore whenever possible, I was exposed to a clock in another friend’s apartment. This clock, second only to the Whatever Clock showcasing numbers one through twelve collected in a corner, listed the numbers in reverse going clockwise. At second glance, it provoked a smile and served as a reminder that time is, actually, how you choose to see it.

On this very day, my day of birth, I am again reminded of this concept. Age is a celebration of time. Yet, somehow, for some, it is also a determining factor for accomplishment. Are goals based on time true measures of success? Are goals only goals because they are based on time?

I would be lying if I said that I don’t use time, as we accept it, to indicate my work and meeting schedules, and to celebrate and enjoy events and activities. But I definitely try to ignore time as an indicator for hunger, sleep, personal activities and future endeavors. Even as I say that, I am reminded of all the things I would like to do before my time on earth expires. Isn’t that living by time? Is there a difference between living by time and living by your own time? I guess only time will tell.

No comments: