Friday, October 3, 2008

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Everywhere I go, I find it. It’s almost impossible to ignore it. My car, the floor of my apartment, the chair at my workplace, and my clothes all have this in common; loose strands of my hair. I am not exactly sure when this started becoming more of a “situation,” but it has definitely escalated since the strands have gotten longer.

Maybe the length just makes it a more noticeable deposit. Regardless, this sizable loss of physical attribute makes me wonder if it’s normal. Should I really be able to stuff a pillow with my monthly losses, or try my hand at Build-a-Bear…with my hair?! Granted, I may be exaggerating slightly with the afterlife possibilities of my shiny string-like accumulations, but maybe not by much.

As I picked off yet another strand of blondish, organically shampooed and conditioned hair from my jet black fleece, I realized something of great magnitude. I can never commit a crime. Not that I have any desire to do so, but from a CSI perspective, it would not be in my best interest. The amount of DNA I deposit on a daily basis, through the shedding of hair alone, is enough to consider me for the sequel to Hansel and Gretel. The detectives could follow my trail of hair all the way to California and back. In short, I haven’t got a chance.

While I have not yet decided on a solution to this growing frustration, I have weighed out my options. There is, of course, shaving my head entirely. But, to be honest, that is not even an option I would consider at this time. Another possibility is to permanently wear a swim or shower cap. Or, maybe, I could just wear my hair in a bun all day…every day. Huh.

Even though I am slightly intrigued by the reactions I would produce sporting a swim or shower cap twenty-four-seven, I do not see myself adopting any of these solutions mentioned above in an effort to reduce my unintentional litter. I guess I can continue to ponder this “situation” and the creative ways in which it might be remedied. In the meantime, I will continue my lifestyle as a hunter and gatherer, cleaning up after myself, and be grateful to have hair on my head. Knowing I have that to brush to the side makes the side effect of its cyclical loss even easier to brush aside.

No comments: