Thursday, October 2, 2008

Planting a Seed

Several years ago, I bought a variety packet of wildflower seeds. The desire to grow something, at the time, was fairly strong so I didn’t hesitate at the purchase. As I sprinkled the seeds into the pot of soil, I proceeded to visualize their potential. Not only was I eager to see which flowers would emerge, but curious as to the quantity and their timeline for maturity. Will all the seeds grow into flowers? Will some grow more quickly than others? Will the growth of some restrict others’ progress?

Unexpectedly, I find that I’m once again asking myself these very same questions, but in an entirely different context. As an advisor of a student organization, I am fortunate to work with a variety of students. And, like a packet of wildflower seeds, each one has potential. So, I would like to assume, with the proper care, these students will blossom into the flowers they are meant to be. If I follow the directions on the back of the packet, or in the Student Organization Handbook, I should produce a beautiful display of wildflowers. Right?

But how do I know when I’ve watered too much? How do I know when they’ve had too much sunshine or, possibly, not enough? How do I know if I’ve helped or hindered their growth? How much of the result is my efforts compared to the seed itself?

The packet doesn’t come with a guarantee, and neither does a student. Sometimes even the right conditions aren’t enough. And even those, although intended, aren’t always likely. All I can do is continue to nurture the best I know how, and hope that the seeds find exactly what they need from the mix of nutrients, and dismiss what they don’t, to blossom into greatness.

No comments: