Sunday, October 5, 2008

Soundtrack of My Life

As we shoved forkfuls of delicious southern-style food into our mouths, our discussion somehow wandered down memory lane. There we were, sitting around the same picnic-style table in the same kitchen of the same historic house, only eight years later. The stories that tied us together all those years ago were still prominent in our memory banks, and enjoyed once again. It was then that our past grasped on to musical representation.

Excited about the idea, we happily debated back and forth regarding the song best suited to represent each of the summers we experienced as co-workers. After much laughter, we agreed to disagree and moved forward with the conversation. But, the idea of annual song representation remained an intriguing one; one that was never quite forgotten. So when another friend of mine recently wrote a Facebook Note with a similar concept, my mind decided to play along.

Which songs would make up the soundtrack of my life? While this task seemed like an enjoyable one when first acknowledged, it swiftly became an overwhelming mental project. How could I possibly pick the appropriate song, one that would accurately summarize three-hundred-and-sixty-five days, for each year of my existence? With so many songs to choose from, including those not yet experienced, I was bound to pick wrong.

The first mental scan for this daunting project produced the following, and not in numerical order: Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7XLeYMUZY4&feature=related), Beer Run by Todd Snider (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyCPhIjmk-s), Landslide by Fleetwood Mac (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX6WHvxTYHs) and Carolina in My Mind by James Taylor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNjLUPqckWY). The second questionable scan produced hilarious, even inappropriate, considerations and, of course, alterations to some of the initial candidates for compact disc inclusion. After much thought, I decided that this task was not worth the effort I would likely exert into the final product. The entertainment factor, I’m afraid, would quickly turn into one of accuracy. Even as I say that, however, I recognize that there is no “right” soundtrack for Rachelle. Because each moment I experience brings with it a new perspective on life that, in turn, alters my perceptions of my past. Therefore, ultimately, resulting in an ever-changing soundtrack; one that would take a lifetime to get "right."

No comments: