Friday, August 29, 2008

The Breaking Point

I’m a pretty big fan of sunglasses. I attribute it to the light color of my eyes. Some time back I read somewhere that lighter color eyes are more sensitive to sunlight, and I’ve adopted that excuse ever since. Every morning, I grab a pair of sunglasses as I head out the door and the added protection carries me from one building to the next. Once I enter a building, however, I shift the sunglasses to the top of my head. Yesterday, I added a snap to the equation.

Did I hear something? What was that?! Did the noise originate from my head? While I often hear some rattling and reeling in that general direction, this sound wasn’t familiar. Suspecting the contraption now serving as a headband, I grabbed for the eye-protectors to investigate. Sure enough, the top rim of plastic over the left lens snapped in half leaving me with a slightly more flexible pair of shades. After the initial shock and “Awwww,” I popped the lens out and slid the glasses back onto my face to amuse my fellow co-workers; hoping to distract them from the usual morning blues. Once the laughs subsided, I had to actually consider the fate of my sunny-day accessory. Fix or not to fix...that was the question.

Just as my mind decided that duct tape, although humorous, did not seem appropriate for the cause, my friend told me to surrender the shades to the garbage gods. That got me thinking. It seems that everything, and everyone, has a breaking point. But how does one determine the true point of no return, and differentiate it from the decided point? Or is the decided point the only point that matters?

No comments: