Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Here's Your Sign

Walking onto campus (my place of employment) this morning was the same as usual: students running late to their eight o’clock class, employees running late to the invisible punch clock, and myself acknowledging my lateness but secretly enjoying the few moments of outdoor surroundings before plunging into the air conditioned land of demand. As I was walking, I couldn’t help but notice the sidewalk chalk-talk that had been written for students, by students, in the pedestrian paths of the campus announcing various upcoming meetings and activities. While some of the statements written are humorous and attention-grabbing, I have never seen something quite as entertaining as I did today.

The words, “Do not step here! Poison!” encircled a large skull and cross-bones drawn ever so skillfully in pink and green chalk along one of the campus sidewalks. As I started laughing out loud, I watched my right foot surprisingly dodge the artwork on the ground. Did I just MOVE my body around this chalking?! As if instinctual, and still laughing, I jerked my head around to see if I was being videotaped (something I would consider doing simply for the entertainment factor, not to mention a great psychology project). Slightly irritated that I unconsciously followed the “rules” of the chalk, I actually considered walking back to the scene of the crime just so I could step there. I didn’t…but mostly because I was so entertained by the entire ordeal, I just wanted to enjoy the method behind the madness. Have I been conditioned by society?

It seems there are so many signs telling us what to do, what not to do, where to go and how to do it, that it’s possible we have lost our ability to question as often as we should…with everything. Is that a sign?

No comments: