Thursday, August 28, 2008

Wave Runner

I never run with music. Not because I don’t enjoy music (quite the opposite), but because it allows me to be more aware of my surroundings as I’m pounding pavement. Without the added distraction of musical entertainment, I find that my mind seeks entertainment elsewhere. Sometimes that amusement comes from my own thoughts and reflections, and other times it surfaces from other people, objects and happenings in my environment. Often welcoming an escape from myself, I usually pay close attention to those who cross my path directly. Depending on the location, I will often pass walkers, cyclists and other runners. It was only when I started running regularly that I noticed the wave.

It doesn’t necessarily happen with walkers or cyclists. Of course there are sometimes verbal greetings or nods of acknowledgement from these outdoor enthusiasts, but nothing quite as dependable as the runners’ wave. Every time my path would cross with another runner, the wave was executed and returned by both parties; a subtle gesture that, somehow, spoke volumes. After a wave episode, I couldn’t help but continue smiling once the person passed out of view. It was if this simple acknowledgement sent a wave (if you will) of positive energy into my body. I somehow felt an immediate connection with this stranger who, I felt, understood me in that moment without any additional information.

When I was younger, I played a game that involved a group of people assembled into a circle instructed to toss a ball of yarn from one person to another. Every time the yarn ball was tossed to someone, the yarn had to be held onto before it was tossed again. This action eventually created a web of yarn between the people engaged in the activity. It would be safe to say that every time I experienced the runners’ wave exchange, I felt as if a web of connection was being established. Oddly, I felt like I was part of something bigger…something great.

This simple communication gesture is not exclusive to runners, and I’ve definitely been able to experience the same connection when riding my bike, riding in a Jeep Wrangler, or driving in a small community. And in all situations, my reaction has been the same…a sense of belonging. In short, there is something to say for the ways in which we acknowledge others without words.

No comments: